Better Habit #9
When you see the word 'fragrance' or 'parfum' in an ingredient list you can assume it's all synthetic - not a blend of natural flower extracts as you may imagine? The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) reports that '95% of the ingredients used to create fragrances today are synthetic compounds derived from petroleum, including benzene derivatives, phthalates, aldehydes, and many other known toxins and sensitisers - capable of causing cancer, birth defects, central nervous system disorders and allergic reactions'. According to the Environmental Working Group (EWG), there are potentially hundreds of chemicals in a single product's secret fragrance mixture. Studies show that fragrance chemicals can cause health effects, primarily in the skin, lungs and brain. Many studies have been conducted to show that fragrance products can cause skin sensitivity, rashes, and dermatitis. In fact, skin sensitivity is one of the best-known side effects of fragrances.
You can help protect yourself and your family (including your fur babies) from exposure to synthetic fragrances by reading the labels on products carefully and:
1. Avoid any product that lists 'fragrance' or 'parfum' on the label - catch all words for synonymous with hidden phthalates and other nasties.
2. Products that claim to be 'fragrance-free' or 'unscented' could contain masking agents to cover other smells, so it's best if the word fragrance doesn't appear on the label at all.
3. Look for scents that are naturally derived, plant-based or labeled as 100% essential oils. These are not the same thing as fragrance oils which are artificially created and contain synthetic ingredients.
4. For scented candles make sure their smell comes from 100% essential oils - or better still trade your candle in for an essential oil diffuser or oil burner.
5. Use on non-aerosol, plant-based room sprays instead of scented aerosol sprays, fragranced liquids that emit a continuous scent, or solid air fresheners.
6. Labels that claim a product is 'natural', 'safe' or 'biodegradable' do not mean that it is necessarily free of synthetic fragrances or other chemicals.
Planet Luxe products do not contain any synthetic fragrances.
READING: Vivienne Westwood by Vivienne Westwood & Ian Kelly
LISTENING TO: Like a Man by Adam Cohen